Ernesto U. Savona
Ernesto U. Savona and Michele Riccardi (eds), 2018, Mapping the risk of Serious and Organised Crime infiltration in European Businesses – Final report of the MORE Project.
Milano: Transcrime – Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore. © 2018
MORE aimed to analyse, model and map the risk factors of serious and organised crime (SOC) infiltration in legitimate European businesses. It focused on risk factors at two levels:
• Macro level, i.e., across countries,regions and business sectors;
• Micro level, i.e., at the firm level, in terms of ownership and accounting red flags.
MORE built on two previous studies also co-funded by the EU Commission:
• The OCP project, which analysed the economy of organised crime in 7 EU MSs (Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and the UK) from a macro perspective;
• The ARIEL project, which analysed the script of OC infiltration in businesses in 5 EU MSs (Italy, the Netherlands,
Slovenia, Sweden and the UK) from a micro perspective.
The MORE project combined the two perspectives and extended the analysis to the whole EU 28. To do so, it adopted a mixed qualitative and quantitative method — which is the only possible way to address a complex issue such as SOC infiltration in
businesses. And in the process, it performed:
• The collection of data, cases and evidence from a wide variety of sources (judicial documents, police reports, institutional reports and media news), relying also on a widespread network of national contact points.
• An in-depth crime-script analysis of 24 case studies of SOC infiltration (equivalent to more than 500 companies
in all EU MS);
• A macro analysis of statistics on selected risk factors across regions, countries and business sectors;
• A micro analysis of ownership and accounting data from a sample of more than 1,000 firms confiscated from OC.
MORE is only a first exploratory step towards a systematic monitoring of the problem of SOC infiltration in businesses across the EU MSs, but it shows that such monitoring would be essential to mitigate and prevent SOC in Europe.
Prof. Ernesto Savona e Michele Riccardi partecipano al 18° meeting dell’EU Asset Recovery Offices’Platform.
Presso l’Università Cattolica si tiene il Kick-off meeting del progetto DATACROS – Developing a Tool to Assess Corruption Risk factors in firms’ Ownership Structure finanziato dalla Commissione Europea – DG HOME.
Durante la conferenza NATO Defense College Foundation su “Targeting the de-materialised ‘Caliphate’” il prof. Savona tiene una relazione sul tema “Terrorist funding: a lynchpin between extremism and armed operations”.
Michele Riccardi partecipa alla riunione del gruppo di lavoro su “EU Money Laundering Supra-National Risk Assessment”.
Michele Riccardi partecipa al 7° Meeting dell’Asset Management Subgroup of the EU Asset Recovery Office Platform.
Il Prof. Ernesto Savona partecipa all’“International Conference on Combatting Illicit Tobacco Trade and Related Crimes”.
Durante la conferenza ALEA su gioco d’azzardo e questione criminale, il Prof. Savona tiene una relazione sul tema “L’influenza del mercato legale-illegale sui paradigmi della regolazione del gioco d’azzardo contemporaneo”.
Durante la conferenza delle parti UNTOC, il prof. Savona coordina l’evento su “Changing Organized Crime: lessons from EU project PROTON” promosso da UNODC e la missione italiana alle Nazioni Unite a Vienna.
Durante il Festival della Sociologia, il prof. Savona coordina una sessione sul tema “Misurare i traffici illeciti: la sfida dell’Agenda delle Nazioni Unite per il 2030” con Federico Sallusti (ISTAT) e Alberto Aziani (Transcrime).
Alla Scuola Superiore della Magistratura il prof. Savona apre il corso “Giovanni Falcone” con una relazione su “Il reclutamento nelle organizzazioni criminali: una recente ricerca”.
Our spin-off company @Crimetech2015 carried out the new study on retail security in EU with the support of @CheckpointSys. The results will be presented on 20 June at @Unicatt, Milan. Details will follow soon! #RSE2019 #retail #security #crimeprevention #shrinkage #shoplifting https://t.co/CcQFE7J9Tz
Our spin-off company @Crimetech2015 carried out the new study on retail security in EU with the support of @CheckpointSysIT . The results will be presented on 20 June at @Unicatt, Milan. #RSE2019 #retail #security #crimeprevention #shrinkage https://t.co/pr62BHoJhy