Largo Gemelli 1, 20123 Milano
Ph. +39 02 7234 3715/3716
Fax +39 02 7234 3721
Ernesto U. Savona
MORE aimed to analyse, model and map the risk factors of serious and organised crime (SOC) infiltration in legitimate European businesses. It focused on risk factors at two levels:
• Macro level, i.e., across countries,regions and business sectors;
• Micro level, i.e., at the firm level, in terms of ownership and accounting red flags.
MORE built on two previous studies also co-funded by the EU Commission:
• The OCP project, which analysed the economy of organised crime in 7 EU MSs (Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and the UK) from a macro perspective;
• The ARIEL project, which analysed the script of OC infiltration in businesses in 5 EU MSs (Italy, the Netherlands,
Slovenia, Sweden and the UK) from a micro perspective.
The MORE project combined the two perspectives and extended the analysis to the whole EU 28. To do so, it adopted a mixed qualitative and quantitative method — which is the only possible way to address a complex issue such as SOC infiltration in
businesses. And in the process, it performed:
• The collection of data, cases and evidence from a wide variety of sources (judicial documents, police reports, institutional reports and media news), relying also on a widespread network of national contact points.
• An in-depth crime-script analysis of 24 case studies of SOC infiltration (equivalent to more than 500 companies
in all EU MS);
• A macro analysis of statistics on selected risk factors across regions, countries and business sectors;
• A micro analysis of ownership and accounting data from a sample of more than 1,000 firms confiscated from OC.
MORE is only a first exploratory step towards a systematic monitoring of the problem of SOC infiltration in businesses across the EU MSs, but it shows that such monitoring would be essential to mitigate and prevent SOC in Europe.
Prof. Ernesto Savona and Michele Riccardi take part to the 18th meeting of the EU Asset Recovery Offices’Platform.
At Università Cattolica in Milan, Transcrime hosts the kick-off meeting of the project DATACROS – Developing a Tool to Assess Corruption Risk factors in firms’ Ownership Structure funded by the European Commission DG-HOME.
During the NATO Defense College Foundation on “Targeting the de-materialised ‘Caliphate’” prof. Savona gives a speech on “Terrorist funding: a lynchpin between extremism and armed operations”.
Michele Riccardi takes part to the meeting of the working group of the “EU Money Laundering Supra-National Risk Assessment”.
Michele Riccardi takes part to the 7th Meeting of the Asset Management Subgroup of the EU Asset Recovery Office Platform.
Prof Ernesto Savona takes part in the “International Conference on Combatting Illicit Tobacco Trade and Related Crimes”.
During the ALEA conference on gambling and criminal question, Prof Savona gives a speech on “L’influenza del mercato legale-illegale sui paradigmi della regolazione del gioco d’azzardo contemporaneo”.
During the conference of the Parties UNTOC, prof. Savona coordinates the side event on “Changing Organized Crime: lessons from EU project PROTON” sponsored by UNODC and Italian Mission at UN in Vienna.
During the Festival della Sociologia, prof. Savona coordinates a meeting on “Misurare i traffici illeciti: la sfida dell’Agenda delle Nazioni Unite per il 2030” with Federico Sallusti (ISTAT) and Alberto Aziani (Transcrime).
At the Scuola Superiore della Magistratura, prof. Savona introduces the course “Giovanni Falcone” with a lesson on “Il reclutamento nelle organizzazioni criminali: una recente ricerca”.
Our spin-off company @Crimetech2015 carried out the new study on retail security in EU with the support of @CheckpointSysIT . The results will be presented on 20 June at @Unicatt, Milan. #RSE2019 #retail #security #crimeprevention #shrinkage https://t.co/pr62BHoJhy
A study on “Corruption and Mafia Infiltrations in the Wind Power Sector in Italy” was carried out by Transcrime in 2013. https://t.co/iyw56hwDiZ Here are some results of the study. #corruption #windpower #mafiainfiltration #organizedcrime https://t.co/01gi1eAg8X
Ogni giorno a Milano aprono o cambiano proprietà diversi esercizi, un mercato che interessa ovviamente la Mafia. Su #Panorama, @ricc_ardimi parla del trend che ha preso piede nel capoluogo lombardo #mafia #milano #criminalità #riciclaggio https://t.co/cixT0Y8KzQ
Summer School is: collaboration with @TNO_Research, 4 days of intensive lessons, multidisciplinary approach to applied research, international speakers, students and professionals from all over Europe #transcrime #criminology #summerschool2019 https://t.co/HMmKstCtty https://t.co/P1RlC47FYt