Largo Gemelli 1, 20123 Milano
Ph. +39 02 7234 3715/3716
Fax +39 02 7234 3721
Ernesto U. Savona
MORE aimed to analyse, model and map the risk factors of serious and organised crime (SOC) infiltration in legitimate European businesses. It focused on risk factors at two levels:
• Macro level, i.e., across countries,regions and business sectors;
• Micro level, i.e., at the firm level, in terms of ownership and accounting red flags.
MORE built on two previous studies also co-funded by the EU Commission:
• The OCP project, which analysed the economy of organised crime in 7 EU MSs (Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and the UK) from a macro perspective;
• The ARIEL project, which analysed the script of OC infiltration in businesses in 5 EU MSs (Italy, the Netherlands,
Slovenia, Sweden and the UK) from a micro perspective.
The MORE project combined the two perspectives and extended the analysis to the whole EU 28. To do so, it adopted a mixed qualitative and quantitative method — which is the only possible way to address a complex issue such as SOC infiltration in
businesses. And in the process, it performed:
• The collection of data, cases and evidence from a wide variety of sources (judicial documents, police reports, institutional reports and media news), relying also on a widespread network of national contact points.
• An in-depth crime-script analysis of 24 case studies of SOC infiltration (equivalent to more than 500 companies
in all EU MS);
• A macro analysis of statistics on selected risk factors across regions, countries and business sectors;
• A micro analysis of ownership and accounting data from a sample of more than 1,000 firms confiscated from OC.
MORE is only a first exploratory step towards a systematic monitoring of the problem of SOC infiltration in businesses across the EU MSs, but it shows that such monitoring would be essential to mitigate and prevent SOC in Europe.
During the NATO Defense College Foundation on “Targeting the de-materialised ‘Caliphate’” prof. Savona gives a speech on “Terrorist funding: a lynchpin between extremism and armed operations”.
Michele Riccardi takes part to the meeting of the working group of the “EU Money Laundering Supra-National Risk Assessment”.
Michele Riccardi takes part to the 7th Meeting of the Asset Management Subgroup of the EU Asset Recovery Office Platform.
Prof Ernesto Savona takes part in the “International Conference on Combatting Illicit Tobacco Trade and Related Crimes”.
During the ALEA conference on gambling and criminal question, Prof Savona gives a speech on “L’influenza del mercato legale-illegale sui paradigmi della regolazione del gioco d’azzardo contemporaneo”.
During the conference of the Parties UNTOC, prof. Savona coordinates the side event on “Changing Organized Crime: lessons from EU project PROTON” sponsored by UNODC and Italian Mission at UN in Vienna.
During the Festival della Sociologia, prof. Savona coordinates a meeting on “Misurare i traffici illeciti: la sfida dell’Agenda delle Nazioni Unite per il 2030” with Federico Sallusti (ISTAT) and Alberto Aziani (Transcrime).
At the Scuola Superiore della Magistratura, prof. Savona introduces the course “Giovanni Falcone” with a lesson on “Il reclutamento nelle organizzazioni criminali: una recente ricerca”.
During the 36th International Symposium on Economic Crime, Michele Riccardi presents a paper in a panel on “AML National risk assessments – the way forward”.
During the 36th International Symposium on Economic Crime, Prof. Savona presents a paper on “Curbing illicit wealth reducing loopholes in opportunities and taxes”.
Assess this risk: the special issue of #EJCPR @SpringerCrim on #moneylaundering #riskassessment, coordinated by @ernestosavona and @ricc_ardimi is finally out. With contributions of @hopkins_crim @ricc_ardimi #PeterReuter #Ferwerda #Soudijn https://t.co/t27mlpDYY4 https://t.co/xd73U8ALYT
Anche i dati del lavoro di @transcrime @ricc_ardimi sulle donne nelle aziende mafiose nell’inchiesta di @LoreBodre @irpinvestigates sul @Corriere di oggi: https://t.co/FfmmUuSYYT @Unicatt https://t.co/3s0JI4h25c
La gestione del rischio in un’economia globale: parteciperemo anche all’evento di @TXTesolutions e @aziendabanca il prossimo 5 marzo in @triennalemilano. Parleremo dei rischi di infiltrazione criminale in azienda. Per iscriversi: https://t.co/yJWHUSf6Pp