Largo Gemelli 1, 20123 Milano
Ph. +39 02 7234 3715/3716
Fax +39 02 7234 3721
Ernesto U. Savona
MORE aimed to analyse, model and map the risk factors of serious and organised crime (SOC) infiltration in legitimate European businesses. It focused on risk factors at two levels:
• Macro level, i.e., across countries,regions and business sectors;
• Micro level, i.e., at the firm level, in terms of ownership and accounting red flags.
MORE built on two previous studies also co-funded by the EU Commission:
• The OCP project, which analysed the economy of organised crime in 7 EU MSs (Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and the UK) from a macro perspective;
• The ARIEL project, which analysed the script of OC infiltration in businesses in 5 EU MSs (Italy, the Netherlands,
Slovenia, Sweden and the UK) from a micro perspective.
The MORE project combined the two perspectives and extended the analysis to the whole EU 28. To do so, it adopted a mixed qualitative and quantitative method — which is the only possible way to address a complex issue such as SOC infiltration in
businesses. And in the process, it performed:
• The collection of data, cases and evidence from a wide variety of sources (judicial documents, police reports, institutional reports and media news), relying also on a widespread network of national contact points.
• An in-depth crime-script analysis of 24 case studies of SOC infiltration (equivalent to more than 500 companies
in all EU MS);
• A macro analysis of statistics on selected risk factors across regions, countries and business sectors;
• A micro analysis of ownership and accounting data from a sample of more than 1,000 firms confiscated from OC.
MORE is only a first exploratory step towards a systematic monitoring of the problem of SOC infiltration in businesses across the EU MSs, but it shows that such monitoring would be essential to mitigate and prevent SOC in Europe.
AMERICAN SOCIETY OF CRIMINOLOGY Annual Meeting 2019 – Alberto Aziani talks about evolving crime trends, patterns, and measurements.
Prof. Savona participates in European Commission Expert Committee on policy needs and data con crime.
PROGETTO EDUCATIVO ANTIMAFIA – Prof. Savona talks about mafia in the age of globalisation.
AMERICAN SOCIETY OF CRIMINOLOGY Annual Meeting 2019 – Alberto Aziani discusses about organized crime and its control over spaces, resources, and activities.
STATI GENERALI DELLA SICUREZZA (ABI) – Marco Dugato discusses the applied research to security.
CONFERENZA INTERNAZIONALE SUL CONTRASTO ALLE ATTIVITÀ DELLE ORGANIZZAZIONI CRIMINALI – Prof. Savona discusses the dynamics of mafia infiltration in the legal economy.
XXXIII CONGRESSO NAZIONALE DELLA SOCIETÀ ITALIANA DI CRIMINOLOGIA – Prof. Savona chairs the session ‘Rischi per la sicurezza, rischi della sicurezza’.
XXXIII CONGRESSO NAZIONALE DELLA SOCIETÀ ITALIANA DI CRIMINOLOGIA – Martina Marchesi e Thomas Joyce present the TRAin TRAINING project: Monitoring the risk of terrorist/violent radicalisation in prison.
SYMPOSIUM “MEASURES AGAINST MONEY LAUNDERING AND TERRORIST FINANCING IN THE EUROPEAN UNION” – Michele Riccardi talks about organized crime infiltration in the European economy .
INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON ILLICIT TRADE OF TOBACCO PRODUCTS ALONG THE BALKAN ROUTE – Prof. Savona presents a report on illicit trade of tobacco products and measures to counter it.
Durante la #conferenza del Progetto Educativo #Antimafia promosso dal @Pio_LaTorre, il prof @ernestosavona, il sindaco di Palermo @LeolucaOrlando1 ed altri esperti hanno parlato delle #mafie nell’era della globalizzazione https://t.co/cRE3fhpxTW
#ASCSF19 @AlbertoAziani presents a report on security governance: #mafia control over ordinary crimes at the 2019 Annual #Meeting of the American Society of Criminology @ASCRM41 @ASC_Meetings #crimeprevention #organizedcrime #criminology #sanfrancisco https://t.co/wOeQIimdrG
Al #convegno Stati Generali della Sicurezza organizzato da #OSSIF, @MarcoDugato discute di #ricerca applicata alla #sicurezza e dell’importanza dell’#analisi strategica https://t.co/CqFZC2yFjv @ABI_Eventi #dati #formazione https://t.co/eNWnr8uZNp
Transcrime is partner of @ROXANNE_project #H2020, a three years #project aimed at combining the strengths of speaker data mining and link analysis to provide #LEAs an efficient tool to track and uncover #criminals and #terrorists https://t.co/VQZlz3MzcY #organizedcrime #terrorism https://t.co/Rce7zr7U6u