Largo Gemelli 1, 20123 Milano
Ph. +39 02 7234 3715/3716
Fax +39 02 7234 3721
Ernesto U. Savona
MORE aimed to analyse, model and map the risk factors of serious and organised crime (SOC) infiltration in legitimate European businesses. It focused on risk factors at two levels:
• Macro level, i.e., across countries,regions and business sectors;
• Micro level, i.e., at the firm level, in terms of ownership and accounting red flags.
MORE built on two previous studies also co-funded by the EU Commission:
• The OCP project, which analysed the economy of organised crime in 7 EU MSs (Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and the UK) from a macro perspective;
• The ARIEL project, which analysed the script of OC infiltration in businesses in 5 EU MSs (Italy, the Netherlands,
Slovenia, Sweden and the UK) from a micro perspective.
The MORE project combined the two perspectives and extended the analysis to the whole EU 28. To do so, it adopted a mixed qualitative and quantitative method — which is the only possible way to address a complex issue such as SOC infiltration in
businesses. And in the process, it performed:
• The collection of data, cases and evidence from a wide variety of sources (judicial documents, police reports, institutional reports and media news), relying also on a widespread network of national contact points.
• An in-depth crime-script analysis of 24 case studies of SOC infiltration (equivalent to more than 500 companies
in all EU MS);
• A macro analysis of statistics on selected risk factors across regions, countries and business sectors;
• A micro analysis of ownership and accounting data from a sample of more than 1,000 firms confiscated from OC.
MORE is only a first exploratory step towards a systematic monitoring of the problem of SOC infiltration in businesses across the EU MSs, but it shows that such monitoring would be essential to mitigate and prevent SOC in Europe.
DATA SCIENCE FOR POLICING, SECURITY AND PUBLIC SAFETY – Marco Dugato discusses the main existing approaches to crime forecasting at Cardiff University.
THE NEED FOR AN EU PLAN TO END THE VICIOUS CYCLE OF GRAND CORRUPTION – Prof. Ernesto Savona discusses about the EU needs to rethink its overall approach to asset recovery at the event organized by Transparency International EU.
EUROPEAN CRIME PREVENTION CONFERENCE (EUCPN) – Prof. Francesco Calderoni presents the final results of European project Proton.
TRAIN THE TRAINERS – Thomas Joyce talks about the value of radicalisation monitoring and the use of possible indicators allowing an early detection of radicalization phenomenon at the Department of Penitentiary Administration.
COOPERATION BETWEEN EUROPOL, ACADEMIA AND RESEARCH EXPERTS – Prof. Savona participates in the roundtable ‘Cooperation between Europol, Academia and Research Experts’.
TRAin TRAINING FINAL CONFERENCE – Prof. Savona discusses the European future of tools for monitoring radicalization processes in prison.
EMPIRICAL AML RESEARCH CONFERENCE – Michele Riccardi discusses how to assess the risk of illicit financial flows through the analysis of cross border ownership links of European businesses.
EUCPN Board Meeting – Prof. Francesco Calderoni presents the final results of European project Proton.
TOWARDS A COMMON EU STRATEGY TO FIGHT CORRUPTION AND ORGANISED CRIME – Prof. Savona discusses the need to improve the cross border cooperation in the fight against organised crime and corruption at the European Parliament.
AMERICAN SOCIETY OF CRIMINOLOGY Annual Meeting 2019 – Alberto Aziani talks about evolving crime trends, patterns, and measurements.
Su @repubblica il Prof. @ernestosavona parla delle misure da adottare per #prevenire o ridurre le opportunità criminali che potrebbero nascere in vista della ripresa economica del Paese https://t.co/BVQbZW8Orp #coronavirus #Covid19 #mafia #corruzione #prevenzione @Unicatt
🔔Join Our Team➡️ We are looking for one native Arabic speaker for conducting our research activities. We offer two different types of contract according to the applicant’s needs. Info👇 Project contract➡️https://t.co/TbtKZw3LF5 Internship➡️https://t.co/6aUKPe0uxg https://t.co/cCqrB9pEmh