Largo Gemelli 1, 20123 Milano
Ph. +39 02 7234 3715/3716
Fax +39 02 7234 3721
Ernesto U. Savona
MORE aimed to analyse, model and map the risk factors of serious and organised crime (SOC) infiltration in legitimate European businesses. It focused on risk factors at two levels:
• Macro level, i.e., across countries,regions and business sectors;
• Micro level, i.e., at the firm level, in terms of ownership and accounting red flags.
MORE built on two previous studies also co-funded by the EU Commission:
• The OCP project, which analysed the economy of organised crime in 7 EU MSs (Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and the UK) from a macro perspective;
• The ARIEL project, which analysed the script of OC infiltration in businesses in 5 EU MSs (Italy, the Netherlands,
Slovenia, Sweden and the UK) from a micro perspective.
The MORE project combined the two perspectives and extended the analysis to the whole EU 28. To do so, it adopted a mixed qualitative and quantitative method — which is the only possible way to address a complex issue such as SOC infiltration in
businesses. And in the process, it performed:
• The collection of data, cases and evidence from a wide variety of sources (judicial documents, police reports, institutional reports and media news), relying also on a widespread network of national contact points.
• An in-depth crime-script analysis of 24 case studies of SOC infiltration (equivalent to more than 500 companies
in all EU MS);
• A macro analysis of statistics on selected risk factors across regions, countries and business sectors;
• A micro analysis of ownership and accounting data from a sample of more than 1,000 firms confiscated from OC.
MORE is only a first exploratory step towards a systematic monitoring of the problem of SOC infiltration in businesses across the EU MSs, but it shows that such monitoring would be essential to mitigate and prevent SOC in Europe.
CONFERENZA INTERNAZIONALE SUL CONTRASTO ALLE ATTIVITÀ DELLE ORGANIZZAZIONI CRIMINALI – Prof. Savona discusses the dynamics of mafia infiltration in the legal economy.
XXXIII CONGRESSO NAZIONALE DELLA SOCIETÀ ITALIANA DI CRIMINOLOGIA – Prof. Savona chairs the session ‘Rischi per la sicurezza, rischi della sicurezza’.
SYMPOSIUM “MEASURES AGAINST MONEY LAUNDERING AND TERRORIST FINANCING IN THE EUROPEAN UNION” – Michele Riccardi talks about organized crime infiltration in the European economy .
INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON ILLICIT TRADE OF TOBACCO PRODUCTS ALONG THE BALKAN ROUTE – Prof. Savona presents a report on illicit trade of tobacco products and measures to counter it.
CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE PROTECTION & RESILIENCE EUROPE CONFERENCE – Prof. Savona presents a report on the dynamics of organized crime and terrorism in the near future and their policy implications.
FESTIVAL OF SOCIOLOGY – Prof. Savona and Thomas Joyce participate in the panel ‘European approach to the risk of radicalisation in prison’.
CONSIGLIO SUPERIORE DELLA MAGISTRATURA – Professor Savona presents a report on ‘New markets, economies and financial transaction instruments’.
ADVISORY ROLE OF CSDP MISSION IN DISRUPTING CRIMINAL ORGANISATION IN HOST CONTRIES – Michele Riccardi discusses about institutional development and inter-agency cooperation in the host state.
CONVEGNO ‘RI-CONOSCERE IL RADICALISMO IN ITALIA’ – Professor Savona presents a report on ‘A European approach to the risk of radicalization in prison’.
2019 COMPLIANCE FORUM – Michele Riccardi discusses about complex ownership structures and implications for tracing serious organised crime.
At the 2019 Critical Infrastructure Protection & Resilience Europe #Conference Prof. @ernestosavona discusses about the dynamics of #organizedcrime and #terrorism in the near future and their policy implications @IACIPP1 #criticalinfrastructure #cipre #milan https://t.co/6jF1eFFRp7
#FestivalSociologia Prof. @ernestosavona e il nostro #Phd candidate Thomas Joyce parlano di un approccio europeo al rischio di #radicalizzazione in #carcere https://t.co/00xABkMfs3 @festivalsociolo #narni https://t.co/NO7VbUimkw
Oggi al Consiglio Superiore della Magistratura il Prof @ernestosavona presenta una relazione sui nuovi mercati, le nuove economie e i nuovi strumenti di transazione finanziaria #ValuteVirtuali #CSM #Roma #criminologia https://t.co/m5s2ZduxM7
Svizzera addio Fisco, la grande fuga è negli Emirati. Oggi su @repubblica, @ricc_ardimi e @AlbertoAziani parlano della nuova meta del #denaro in fuga dal #Fisco evidenziando i fattori che la rendono molto attrattiva da un punto di vista fiscale #EmiratiArabi #ParadisiFiscali #AML https://t.co/fGlzx8MMbu