Largo Gemelli 1, 20123 Milano
Ph. +39 02 7234 3715/3716
Fax +39 02 7234 3721
Ernesto U. Savona
MORE aimed to analyse, model and map the risk factors of serious and organised crime (SOC) infiltration in legitimate European businesses. It focused on risk factors at two levels:
• Macro level, i.e., across countries,regions and business sectors;
• Micro level, i.e., at the firm level, in terms of ownership and accounting red flags.
MORE built on two previous studies also co-funded by the EU Commission:
• The OCP project, which analysed the economy of organised crime in 7 EU MSs (Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and the UK) from a macro perspective;
• The ARIEL project, which analysed the script of OC infiltration in businesses in 5 EU MSs (Italy, the Netherlands,
Slovenia, Sweden and the UK) from a micro perspective.
The MORE project combined the two perspectives and extended the analysis to the whole EU 28. To do so, it adopted a mixed qualitative and quantitative method — which is the only possible way to address a complex issue such as SOC infiltration in
businesses. And in the process, it performed:
• The collection of data, cases and evidence from a wide variety of sources (judicial documents, police reports, institutional reports and media news), relying also on a widespread network of national contact points.
• An in-depth crime-script analysis of 24 case studies of SOC infiltration (equivalent to more than 500 companies
in all EU MS);
• A macro analysis of statistics on selected risk factors across regions, countries and business sectors;
• A micro analysis of ownership and accounting data from a sample of more than 1,000 firms confiscated from OC.
MORE is only a first exploratory step towards a systematic monitoring of the problem of SOC infiltration in businesses across the EU MSs, but it shows that such monitoring would be essential to mitigate and prevent SOC in Europe.
TOWARDS A COMMON EU STRATEGY TO FIGHT CORRUPTION AND ORGANISED CRIME – Prof. Savona discusses the need to improve the cross border cooperation in the fight against organised crime and corruption at the European Parliament.
AMERICAN SOCIETY OF CRIMINOLOGY Annual Meeting 2019 – Alberto Aziani talks about evolving crime trends, patterns, and measurements.
Prof. Savona participates in European Commission Expert Committee on policy needs and data con crime.
PROGETTO EDUCATIVO ANTIMAFIA – Prof. Savona talks about mafia in the age of globalisation.
AMERICAN SOCIETY OF CRIMINOLOGY Annual Meeting 2019 – Alberto Aziani discusses about organized crime and its control over spaces, resources, and activities.
STATI GENERALI DELLA SICUREZZA (ABI) – Marco Dugato discusses the applied research to security.
CONFERENZA INTERNAZIONALE SUL CONTRASTO ALLE ATTIVITÀ DELLE ORGANIZZAZIONI CRIMINALI – Prof. Savona discusses the dynamics of mafia infiltration in the legal economy.
XXXIII CONGRESSO NAZIONALE DELLA SOCIETÀ ITALIANA DI CRIMINOLOGIA – Prof. Savona chairs the session ‘Rischi per la sicurezza, rischi della sicurezza’.
XXXIII CONGRESSO NAZIONALE DELLA SOCIETÀ ITALIANA DI CRIMINOLOGIA – Martina Marchesi e Thomas Joyce present the TRAin TRAINING project: Monitoring the risk of terrorist/violent radicalisation in prison.
SYMPOSIUM “MEASURES AGAINST MONEY LAUNDERING AND TERRORIST FINANCING IN THE EUROPEAN UNION” – Michele Riccardi talks about organized crime infiltration in the European economy .
How Transcrime analyses business #ownership to detect criminal #risks and how @Crimetech2015 develops metrics to measure business ownership complexity and #opacity. Watch the speech of @ricc_ardimi at 2019 #Compliance Forum https://t.co/hZ4aWA1vax @bureauvandijk #AML #london
At the #LIBE hearing on ‘Towards a common #EU Strategy to fight #corruption and #organisedcrime’ Prof @ernestosavona discusses the challenges and the actions to improve the cross border #cooperation in the fight against #crime @Unicatt #EuropeanParliament #Brussels https://t.co/IRVSTHIPCn
Collaborare di più e ridurre le #asimmetrie tra le #PoliticheEuropee per contrastare con maggiore efficacia la #CriminalitàOrganizzata. Questo il messaggio lanciato dal Prof @ernestosavona su @euronewsit https://t.co/yJ07bJgPuM
L’inchiesta sull’omicidio di Daphne ha traformato #Malta in un caso politico e non solo. Nel 2018, con il rapporto #More, abbiamo analizzato anche i rischi di infiltrazione della #criminalitàorganizzata e #riciclaggio a Malta. Per approfondire https://t.co/GTQV4f3dB3 https://t.co/dsTmObgTU7